Tuesday, June 14, 2011

(un)Birthday Cupcakes!

Since Molly has a Summer birthday when school isn't in session, the teacher assigned June 13th as her day to celebrate! And what better snack to eat than (un)birthday cupcakes!  Originally I was going to make these...

But decided that transporting 24 of them might get a little tricky.  I will definitely make them another time though.  Can you see the "ice cream cone" in the back with the chocolate/vanilla swirl frosting?  Yum!  I also really, REALLY want to try Martha's Swiss Meringue Buttercream frosting.  But I didn't need 5 cups of frosting so I just went for the traditional, easy, no-recipe-needed buttercream frosting this time.

So we the simple route we went.  I found a recipe for doctoring a box mix (here) and decided to start there.  I'm pretty amazed at how good they tasted (the changes aren't that different from the instructions on the back of the box). Our mix was Betty Crocker's Party Rainbow Chip cake mix.


 Jane is always my little kitchen helper.  As soon as she sees or hears any sign of activity in the kitchen she finds her little stool and says, "I wan help!"  Grandma gave her the cutest little orange gingham apron.  On it went and she was ready to bake!


All scooped up and ready for the oven...


I only baked them for 17 minutes, but they still got a little darker on top then I would have liked.
I guess next time I'll check them at 15 minutes...good thing they're for a 1st grade class.

 Plus, once they're covered with a yummy light yellow buttercream and colorful sprinkles, nobody care that the tops are a little brown.


Jane is my cupcake taste-tester.



Jane liked them, Molly's class liked them.  They were a success and I will definitely make this recipe again!

Happy un-Birthday Molly!  

...yes, I know, I don't have any pictures of Molly eating cupcakes. I forgot to take my camera to the school.  :(